I Can and I Will

I Can and I Will

Monday, October 29, 2018

Mass Sootings: the new norm?

A very sad revelation came to me today about the state of this great nation of ours. I was laying around when I heard that unmistakable <<< ping >>> come from my iPad informing me of a new top news story. For whatever reason I chose to open my iPad and much to my horror not only was it news of another nut perpetrating yet another mass shooting but this one hit close to home. I may have been born in NY to very NY parents but we moved to Pittsburgh when I was 5 so to me Pittsburgh represents home and happier carefree days. It’s where I grew up, made mistakes, got into all kinds of trouble, and made lifelong friends. To see the headline of a mass shooting in Pittsburgh - in fact, in an area of the city I know fairly well - was mind boggling and then to realize I’ve been to that synagogue.......

What has happened to us? How have we become a nation of mass shootings? How have we become so accustomed to these horrific events that we post that we’re sending those oh so helpful “thoughts and prayers” and seem to quickly move on waiting to make the same remarks after the next tragedy? I can’t be the only one asking these questions and tired of the fear, the bloodshed, and the lives irrevocably changed forever.

Why don’t we try this new fancy scmancy radical idea of actually respecting each other’s differences instead of hating them? Why don’t we respect, honor, and learn from the diversity that surrounds us in this big melting pot we proudly call home. Why not listen - and I mean REALLY listen - and learn from those around us? Why does it matter so much what a person’s nationality is? Their sexual orientation? The color of their skin? Their religious preference? When it comes down to it you and I and the guy two barstools up down aren’t that different and to paraphrase Louis Armstrong imagine what a wonderful world it would be if we started seeing each other simply as fellow human beings.... what a truly wonderful world.

Most have never heard of Up with People but it is “an educational organization whose mission is to inspire young people to make a difference in the world. UWP works to break down cultural barriers and create global understanding through volunteer service and a musical show.” Since news of the shooting on my old stomping grounds one song from the UWP show I saw many years ago called World in Motion has been stuck in my head:

Il Faut Tout Leur Dire
(in English : We Must Tell Them Everything)

“...through ignorance, stupidity, and hate man slowly destroys himself. We must tell the children to respect their differences with understanding and compassion. No other answer is in sight. Once they know life is precious, they’ll protect it with pride. There’s no barrier they can’t overcome when Peace is the prize”




🔶 Pittsburgh and Squirrel Hill Strong 🔶

No comments:

Post a Comment